(to catch up people new to the list, I am starting a new Christian biz by buying a franchise: check out C28.COM to see what it's about)...
"Pray like it depends on God. Work like it depends on you." Mark Batterson, TheaterChurch.com
79 Days ago I started talking to C28, a Christian Retail Company about opening a store in Miami, FL. 79 Days later, we are running full steam ahead. Our present goal is to open on Friday, November 17th in the Mall at Wellington Green in West Palm Beach. Ironically, there are 128 days from the first day we started talking to C28 to the day we will open. In case you didn't catch the irony. 100 is "C" in Roman Numerals, therefore, the irony of C28=128.... eh, maybe it's not that funny.
Okay, the God stuff:
1) Our business terms with the mall were approved. They threw in an extra little gift at the last minute (that I didn't even ask for). On the document they sent me to approve it said "Security Deposit: None Specified". I called the agent asking what that meant, and I was told "oh, you don't need to pay a deposit." Now, usually security deposit is 2 months worth of rent, and in a mall you can imagine how high that number is... don't know why we got it but Thank you God!
2) We have found a manager for the West Palm Beach location. Ryan and Kim Eloe are friends of ours from the TCU era. Some would say I am responsible for their hooking up and getting married. (OK, I'm the only one who would say that.) We flew out to LA with the Eloes to look at the ministry, and they fell in love with it! Another Godsend is when I told them they would have to move everything from Fort Worth, TX to West Palm Beach in 3 weeks, they didn't laugh at me! God's great that way, preparing those that will be called... Ryan will be the full-time manager, and Kim is looking for a marketing/promotion position in West Palm Beach. If you want to e-mail them a congratulations (or a warning b/c you know what it's like to work with me) you can do that to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Now the prayer stuff:
1) LAWYERS: The only major snag left is that the mall's lawyers and our lawyers need to negotiate the lease. When I asked our lawyer if he could negotiate the legal terms in 2-3 weeks (the amount of time I have allotted) he laughed at me. I'm not sure that's a good sign. God has gotten us this far, but please pray that we can get past this.
2) TIMING: The schedule is ultra tight right now. There are several items (fixtures, electronics, etc.) that will take a while to come in, and I'm rather nervous about delays in the schedule. We literally have no time for delays.
3) EMPLOYEES: We found our manager, but we still need to find the rest of our employees. Pray that God will bring us students and young adults who are evangelistic, prayerful, basically on fire for God. This is not your typical "mall job". We are opening a church in a mall in West Palm Beach, and these youngsters will be the ones spreading the message.
4) TRAVEL: It seems like at least once a week from today to launch we will have people flying back and forth to LA.
5) AMY AND I: At this stage I can safely say I have three (3) jobs. That takes a lot out of me. On top of that, Amy is having a difficult year teaching as she has a very rough schedule. Pray for both of us that we don't let my (work-o-holic) and her (perfectionist) attitudes get in the way of "us".
Thank you all for your time and prayers. You're all invited to the Grand Opening. Thank you for who you are.
Steadfast in Christ,